- Yield: 5
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Calories: 1278 kcal
- Carbohydrate Content: 75.54 g
- Cholesterol Content: 303 mg
- Fat Content: 98.37 g
- Fiber Content: 7.1 g
- Protein Content: 29.04 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 60.408 g
- Serving Size: 1
- Sodium Content: 3167 mg
- Sugar Content: 2.05 g
- Trans Fat Content: 0.931 g
Punjabi Kadhi is simmered with whole spices to impart an aromatic flavor of the spices and tempered in desi ghee. It is relished in all parts of India. Punjabi kadhi is very different than Sindhi kadhi and Gujarati kadhi recipe. It is thicker and creamier than other kadhi variations. Punjabi Kadhi is made with besan, curd, and various masalas. Serve hot Punjabi kadhi garnished with coriander leaves. It tastes delicious with steamed rice or vegetable khichdi.
Ingredients of Punjabi Kadhi Recipe
- Sour curd - 3 Cups
- Bengal gram flour - 3 Tablespoon
- Ghee - 2 Tablespoons
- Mustard seeds - 1/2 Teaspoon
- Cumin seeds - 1/2 Teaspoon
- Fenugreek seeds - 1/2 Teaspoon
- Asafoetida - 1/2 Teaspoon
- Whole red chilies - 2
- Chopped green chilies - 2
- Grated ginger - 1 Teaspoon
- Bay leaf - 1
- Cloves - 3
- Curry leaves - 10
- Turmeric powder - 1/2 Teaspoon
- Garam masala powder - 1/4 Teaspoon
- Red chili powder - 1/2 Teaspoon
- Salt - 1 Teaspoon
- Chopped coriander leaves for garnishing - 2 Tablespoons
How to Make Punjabi Kadhi
Step 1: Combine curd and Bengal gram flour with 4 cups of water and blend with a liquidizer so that no lumps remain.
Step 2: Add this mixture into a deep pan and put it on the HIGH flame, stir continuously till the first boil.
Step 3: Now, add curry leaves, cloves, bay leaf, green chilies, red chilies, ginger paste, turmeric powder, and salt to it.
Step 4: Simmer it for 5-6 minutes.
Step 5: Now, in a kadhai, heat the ghee, add fenugreek seeds, mustard seeds, cumin seeds, and asafoetida.
Step 6: Wait for 4-5 seconds.
Step 7: Now, add red chili powder and pour the tempering over the Kadhi.
Step 8: Add garam masala to it and mix it well.
Step 9: Garnish it with coriander leaves and serve hot.
- You can also add one tablespoon of garlic paste to the tempering.
- Do not stop stirring the kadhi till the first boil, otherwise, it will split.